The Durham Road

From Genwiki

Jump to: navigation, search

(The Kincardine News, July 30, 1969)

The Durham Road was surveyed in 1848-49 by Allan Park Brough and David Gibson. Intended as a “free-grant” settlement road (the term “colonization road” came into use a little later), it was laid out in much the same way as the nearly contemporary Toronto – Sydenham with concessions of narrow 50 acres lots on each side. The number of these concessions, or ranges, varies in places, but is normally three to the north and three to the south.

Except where the Durham Road and its ranges are interrupted by the Toronto – Sydenham Road and the Owen Sound (Garafraxa) Road with their concessions, the Durham Road runs nearly straight and nearly east and west from the eastern line of Grey County and Osprey Township, across Osprey, Artemesia, Glenelg and Bentinck Townships in Grey and Brant Township in Bruce County until it is interrupted by a range of lots fronting on the boundary road between Brant and Greenock Townships, some three miles west of Walkerton. This refers to the line separating the 1st concession south from the 1st concession north, for the actual road is diverted around obstacles in several places and is broken off altogether for a mile and a quarter near the center of Osprey Township east of Wareham. From Walkerton to Priceville, Queen’s Highway No. 4 follows the Durham Road, but at Priceville turns northeast to Flesherton on the Toronto – Sydenham Road. In this stretch the Durham Road runs parallel to the southern boundaries of the townships, far enough north to allow three ranges of lots between it and the boundary (usually about 2 miles), but the depth of the third range varies slightly and in Glenelg Township a narrow “gore” or “Con. IV South” is inserted.

Across Greenock Township the Durham Road continued 1¼ miles south of its original line, leaving barely room for one range of lots between the road and the southern town line. Only one range was laid out north of the road in this township. For about 6¼ miles the road runs parallel to the southern boundary, but about 1¼ miles west of Riversdale it turns northwest to connect with a stretch laid out parallel to the southern boundary of Kincardine Township across Kinloss and Kincardine Townships. Queen’s Highway No. 9 follows the Durham Road across Greenock, Kinloss and Kincardine Townships. The road was laid out less than 2 miles from the southern town line of Kincardine Township and the Third Concession South had to be curtailed in depth. The Third Concession North was made to conform to this narrower concession. In the triangular northern tip of Kinloss Township the concessions conform to those in Kincardine as far as is possible.

The Durham Road reaches Lake Huron near the mouth of the Penetangore River and here a town plot called “Penetangore” was surveyed for the government in 1849. The name was later changed to “Kincardine” – the name of the post office opened about 1850.

The part of the road across Bentinck Township, west from Durham, was “chopped” and “causewayed” by contract in 1849. Settlers soon began to use this section to reach “Buck’s Tavern” near the site of Hanover and a bridge farther west from which a rather dangerous navigation by scow and raft was possible down the Saugeen to its mouth. A portion of the road in Glenelg was opened during that year, but a diversion was required which had to be approved by local authorities, as well as the Commissioner of Crown Lands and this was delayed for a year. The section across Brant Township was opened in 1850 and bridged in 1851 and the road was carried through to “Penetangore” in 1851. This western part was under the superintendence of George Jackson, Crown Lands Agent at Durham. The part east of the Toronto – Sydenham Road in Artemesia and Osprey Townships was opened in 1850-51 under George Snider.

The settlement roads of 1836-1850 had two main purposes – to provide means of access for settlers to areas newly surveyed and opened for settlement and at the same time provide a number of 50-acre lots which might be granted free to settlers of small means, often with the privilege of having a second 50-acre lot reserved for them for a specified time, which they might purchase on easy terms. These reserved lots were usually in the second range behind the free grant. The system of “narrow fifties,” if successful, meant a compact line of settlement along the road, making it easier to maintain and assuring travelers of assistance in emergency.

Of the various settlement roads opened through the present counties of Dufferin, Grey and Bruce, the Durham Road west of the site of Priceville was perhaps the most successful. This was due largely to a high proportion of reasonably good farm land along the road, but partly to the fact that in Grey County it ran close to the Saugeen River with its good mill sites. Settlement was at first rapid. George Jackson was issuing locations south of the road in Bentinck and Glenelg by September, 1848, before the surveys farther east and west were completed and by 1849 had a number in Brant. In July, 1850, 255 locations were returned for Kincardine exclusive of “Penetangore.” Locations in Greenock and Kinloss had to be delayed until the course of the settlement road across those townships was settled, but this had been done by mid summer of 1851. George Snider seems to have begun his locations in 1850 and settlement in the eastern section was slower. The growth of “Penetangore” is surprising. In November 1851, when the census gives only 499 families in the whole of Bruce County. Lovell’s Canada Directory lists twenty-three names of trades and professions. In 1857 his estimate of the population is 1,000 and a directory for 1869 estimates 3,000 – slightly more than the official figure for Kincardine for 1967. Hanover and Priceville appear as rising mill villages in 1857. Walkerton is called “The chief town of the county” of Bruce, though with only an estimated 175 inhabitants. Durham on the Owen Sound Road is slightly older than the Durham Road, and, to some extent, gave the road its name, though a posthumous compliment to Lord Durham, father-in-law of the contemporary governor-general, Lord Elgin, and still a hero to the Canadian Reformers of 1848, was probably also intended.

The Durham Road certainly played a considerable part in the development of Grey and Bruce Counties and, with other settlement roads of that time, was a model for the ‘colonization roads” of the 1850’s and 1860’s, though more successful from the point of view of settlement than most of these later examples.

Personal tools